Now I had to decide where my circles needed to be. I cut some from freezer paper, ironed them down and then made sure that the green leaf was still the focal point. when cutting the circle apart to adjust for the different pieces I had to make sure that all sections fit together. If you look closely I also put a layer of sheer on top to see how it would look. Wanting the circles to be there but not too strong, they were going to made from this lovely golden red shiny polyester sheer fabric. the kind that you can buy at F-land and put in your windows. check it out, they have many lovely colours.My first run through with the sheer. I placed the sheer down first and then ironed on the freezer paper circles. using them as a guide I carefully machine quilted all the way around using my even feed foot.
The excess was then cutaway.Then I changed my mind and took all of this sheer off by reverse sewing. Oh how I hate to do this but I just was not happy with the result and the sheer circle once the freezer paper came off was too small and too weak in it's presence.
New plan, a much larger circle was needed for the center. This was much simpler in design but had a greater impact. Now I could see in my head where I was going.
At the same time I was playing with the idea of cutting out circles from the quilt by using facings and then inserting trees made from heavy bobbin threads stitched onto a wash away stabilizer to float in the holes.
I like to use Wonderfil Razzle and Dazzle, they have the most delicious colours and a huge variety.
After a few tries sewing them in the bobbin onto the sheer fabric worked the best. Now to put them in the piece. I played and played trying to make it work and ended up discarding them. They will be recycled onto my book covers, eventually.
Sheer sections placed where they were needed with a one inch overhang so that they could be stitched down onto the back.
A closeup of the machine quilting of the sheer onto the quilt.
Now I'm getting somewhere. I like how the sheer really is defined by the quilting.The sheer was roughly cut to the edge and then to clean it up I used a heat tool with a fine tip to burn it away. It takes a little practice but the effect is worth it, nice smooth edges with no fraying. I love how polyester melts so nicely.
Initially I had sewn the sheers on before I made the little quilt. They didn't line up as the sheer moved in the stitching. To solve this problem I cut a one inch overlap which then gets hand stitched down to the back. Hand work here I come.