Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I must be crazy

Piecing has never been something that I have done well so what was I thinking when deciding to piece 1 1/2 inch squares and 1 in x 1 1/2 in rectangles? It was a call to entry that made me do this.
Art to the Rescue Animal Fund Raiser at Galarie Ouest
When we first moved to Perth a little white stray appeared at our doorstep. He was beautiful with great big lime green eyes, he played in my studio and slept on my husband's belly after supper. I was very sad to let him go to a new home but my allergies wouldn't let me keep him.I did however get some great pics. He was a perfect candidate for this show.
First to find a background in my stash. I wanted to represent a garden and the Kaffe Fassett fabrics in my stash were the perfect medium to use.The garden had to be constructed from small colourfull bits, hence the piecing. I made each row but vowed that I would not match all the corners ,I let chance make the decisions here. A dark green print grounded the whole thing.
After the drawing was made, and the pattern was established , I checked it out to see if it would work, it was fine.
Pic and the first stage of the cat on pellon made from hand painted fabrics and pencil crayoned eyes.
Lots of stitching, about 50 hours in time and here he is in all his mischievous glory.

Mischievous Cat

No comments: